Blowfish.

Blowfish.
The inspiration.

11 November 2009

Pepero Day: November 11th



Pepero Day is similar to Valentine’s Day in America. On this day, you are expected to give a box of Pepero (I know the Japanese version, called Pocky, from home) to loved ones, teachers, and friends. It’s called a “gift and snack day”, which in my mind makes it closer to Sweetest Day than Valentine’s. To me, it seems a lot like what I would call a “Hallmark Holiday”. In the U.S., it seems like every so often during a slow retail month, someone (usually the Hallmark Company, to sell cards) “creates” a holiday. Suddenly, people feel they must celebrate the fake holiday, buying cards, gifts, chocolates (and Pepero?), and retail sales increase. Maybe I’m wrong. I mean, it was nice to get random chocolate snacks from some of my students, but it didn’t much feel like a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment