Blowfish.

Blowfish.
The inspiration.

23 March 2010

Surat Thani, and Ferry to Koh Samui

I took a domestic flight to Surat Thani from Bangkok. I wanted to fly directly to Koh Samui, but the flight was twice as much as flying to Surat Thani and taking the ferry. If I had to do it again, I would pay the extra money. As it was, my cheap flight on AirAsia to Surat Thani was delayed 4 times, so I didn't arrive until almost 10pm. AirAsia's planes suck a lot, and by the time we landed after the hour-long flight, my knees hurt so bad I wasn't sure I'd be able to walk. And the airline broke my suitcase when they tossed it around, and the wheels turned out to be irreparable, forcing a luggage purchase. Boo, boo, and boo. I saw some interesting things that night in Surat Thani, though, and bought some souvenirs that I didn't see again anywhere else. But, if you know me well, you know my distinct loathing of boats, so the ferry wasn't as joyous as it was for others.

One hears stories about taxi drivers taking you to their friends' hotels, where you will overpay for a room. This happened to us, as we arrived late, and had few options. The room wasn't too bad, and wasn't too overpriced, so I'd say we got lucky.





The lobby, the next morning.




The view from my hotel room. A bar.


A brothel.


On the shuttle from the airport, I met a guy named Bob, and we walked around the night market together in search of dinner.

A drive-in/bike-in/walk-in movie behind the night market.


A girl selling fabulous balloons. So colorful, and she was so cute!


Our dinner options were fairly lacking, since it was so late when we arrived, but I managed to find what looked like an omelette. It was, in fact, a BANANA omelette, with sugar on top. I was repulsed, but starving, so I did my best with it. After 1/3 though, I couldn't stomach any more.


The place where we found dinner also makes shakes, although their equipment didn't look very sanitary, or the ingredients refrigerated.


Fruit stand at the night market.


Fresh fruit for less than a dollar. Amazingly delicious.


Part of our shuttle/hotel fee included transport to the ferry pier the next morning, which turned out to be an hour away. The bus was full of early twenty-somethings, intent on backpacking and drinking heavily. It is vacation, after all...

Waiting for the bus to the ferry.


The bus wasn't too bad actually. Fans inside, and big open windows made it quite nice.


These guys were crazy drunk, to the point of passing out mid-sentence, singing loudly enough to bother other 21-year-olds, and accusing my seat partner of being a celebrity.


Waiting at the pier for the ferry to arrive.


It was quite beautiful.


On the pier.






On the ferry.






Pulling into port on Koh Samui.

No comments:

Post a Comment