Blowfish.

Blowfish.
The inspiration.

18 October 2009

A Word on the Meaning of the Title

In America, I’ve always heard that blowfish is poisonous and that there’s always a chance that you will get the random bad piece and die. (Cue Bill Murray’s blowfish joke in the first (I think) Charlie’s Angels movie.) Truly, blowfish is poisonous, but safe to eat if prepared correctly.

I’ve been looking for a blog title since I decided to go overseas, but could never find the perfect one. I looked up American clichés ask asked friends for ideas, but I found nothing I liked well enough.

Then, at the end of my first week, my directors took all the teachers out for a sushi dinner (they knew that is my favorite). They ordered blowfish. I told them I had never had it before, but would try it. It was delicious. The next day, the blog was born.

The title, “Blowfish tastes great if it doesn’t kill you,” truly sums up my experience in Korea. I think Korea can be great, if it doesn’t kill you. Between learning a new language, new job, new people, and new food, it really can kill you quickly, especially if it’s not what you were told it would be. But if you can live through it, it might be great. I actually think this is true of most of life’s experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment