Blowfish.

Blowfish.
The inspiration.

11 October 2009

My first trip to Emart, the Target of Korea

On my third full day in Korea (after church), I was taken to Emart to get some things for the house, like dishes and food (I thought this might be important). I was told on our way there that Emart is like the Walmart of Korea. They have everything, and it’s very cheap.

I was amazed as we pulled into the multi-story parking garage which is part of the Emart building. We paid our 100 won deposit for the cart (which is returned when the cart is returned), and made our way up the escalator (for carts and people both). I was awed, as the cart wheels are grooved and metal, which bind to the magnetic escalator belt. We followed the ramp upward toward the first floor of the sales floor.





The view of Gyeongsan out the window from the escalator ramp.



Kitchen accessories were first, which I was thrilled to see, as these are my favorite things to buy. (I don’t know why this is, considering I really hate to cook.) I found many things I needed, but the prices weren’t as cheap as I expected them to be. Everything that sounded good to me was judged too expensive by my boss, who was guiding me through this first experience. I quickly decided that this was not Walmart; it was the Target of Korea. Nice things, but not dirt cheap.

They name many products with English names. I have a comforter named after me.



I chose many things, including what I would later find to be one of the best pillows I’ve ever slept on, and we made our way to the cashiers. We passed the “bargain area,” a madhouse where people dugs through bins for the best deals. It reminded me of the brides at the Barney’s Wedding Gown sales in New York, where you grab any possible match so no one else can take it first. It was highly amusing.

The picture can hardly capture the frenzy of the moment, but I had to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment