Blowfish.

Blowfish.
The inspiration.

03 December 2009

My apartment and Gyeongsan City

I'm living in Oksan2-dong (neighborhood) in Gyeongsan City. I was told before I arrived that I would be living IN Daegu, the third largest metro area in South Korea. The people of my small town consider themselves part of the city, and as they don't have a downtown of their own, say "I'm going downtown" meaning downtown Daegu. People living in Daegu (and pretty much anywhere else) do not recognize my area as part of the city, as I do not. I must take a bus to the subway station in Siji, which is close, but that stop is the last stop on the line. The subway line does not go into Gyeongsan, which is my definition of "not a part of the city". Anyway, more about my woes of "country living" in later episodes.

My apartment is nice enough, and my walk to work is fairly lovely. I live in a studio (one room) apartment, with a "patio" area where the washing machine is. (No dryers in my area though, I'm very sad to say. Makes last minute changes of wardrobe, or spills, more difficult! They exist, but most people in my area can't afford them, and they are seen as a luxury. They cost roughly one month's salary for everyday Koreans.) I have a small kitchen with a two-burner gas range. It has been difficult to adjust to a microwave-less life, as in the States I usually eat meals made with this wonderful invention, from boxes with instructions to add minimal ingredients. There are such "quick meals" here, but I can't read the directions, so I have to make them up, or find something else. I will buy a microwave at some point, but the first bit here has been a little cash-strapped for such a splurge (here they are quite a bit more expensive than at home). Once I am in a more stable position, that's the number one purchase I will make.



Of course, Hayes-y found the perfect place in the sun!









My washer is out there. Not a great view, except of my neighbor's window. And they tend to keep the light on all night... Luckily I'm getting used to sleeping with light.



There is a park on the other side of the building my "window neighbor" lives in, which is where I take Hayes-y. It's very lovely, I think.



And there's workout equipment, so that's cool. I think.



I am working at two schools, which is more of a pain that I thought it would be. The walk takes 15-20 minutes to the close one, and 25-30 to the other. When it's not super cold, it's a lovely view. When it's cold, I take a taxi to the far one. :)

The view from outside my apartment.



My walk to Okgok-dong (the far one).





My school is in the next group of businesses. Can you find the sign?



And of course, Hayes-y is really happy to be here with Mommy. He was really pissed after all the travel it took to get here, but he's happy as a clam to be wherever I am. And I am happy to have him with me. I really couldn't be here without him. My baby.



Not exactly flattering, but this is real life. Me and my boy.







Pooped.

No comments:

Post a Comment